Sunday, December 13, 2009

Organic Chemistry Professor Pradip Bhomik

If you like to sleep. Don't like headaches. Enjoy your weekends. This class is not for you.
Organic Chemistry is an extremely demanding course. Practice makes perfect in this class. I think every Organic Chemistry course taken anywhere is a challenge, but if you were taking it with me Fall 2009, you knew the kinds of emotional roller coasters there were.
This class is insane. The tests are painful. I remember walking out of my first exam really happy that I studied effectively, and I thought I did a good job. I got sick immediately after I recieved my exam. I have never felt like vomiting, and my heart closing up after seeing my exam score. I could see the looks on my fellow students as they recieved their exams. People were scoring less than 50% on their exams. My first exam score I recieved a 44%. I studied for hours! Days! I practiced, I read all the chapters assigned. I did all of my homework with understanding. What happened! I felt so hopeless. After I got my grade I couldn't eat. I couldn't sleep. I felt like a loser. My friend Sarah and I both scored pretty awful scores, and I immediately decided to go to the academic success center. There we met the best Organic Chemistry tutor ever: Alan Stephens. Without Alan I would have failed the course.

We also met some other students in our course who had recieved pretty awful scores as well. So I felt better. I am so thankful there is a place like the Academic Success Center. They really saved me. The subsequent exams were just as painful to study for and take. I did discover the beauty of Organic chemistry and can't wait to enjoy Organic Chemistry II, with Bhomik again :)

Here are some tips:
A lot of people have old Exams, Professor Bhomik has been teaching at UNLV for a very long time, and his test look the same every year. Yes it is helpful to use his old exams to study, but if you don't know what you are practicing and don't practice with understanding, you will Fail. I promise that you will fail without practice. This is not an easy A or easy B class.

You can go to class everyday, take good notes. Do the homework and still FAIL.
I would highly suggest the academic success center. They have great tutors.
I bought Orgo Cards from Borders. They are great, but I didn't use them.

1 comment:

Nekro said...

Glad To See You Are Doing Good. Just Was Thinking About You And Thought Id Look You Up And Say Hi. More Than Likely You Dont Remember Me. Are You Still Going To Be A Dentist When You Graduate. Well Take Care.

Tim Gravelle