
foreclosures, bank failures and layoffs. It has been a sad time for a lot of people this year.
This is the first time in my life where I feel very little control over what is going on in my family and the people around me. I am worried about my whole family, as I seem to be the only one employed at the moment. That is a scary thought considering I have been a student/adventurist most of my young adulthood and have never really concerned myself with the stability of employment. My mom has moved in two of her friends who are now homeless due to layoffs at the Bellagio Casino.
My younger sister is suffering from the hardship of looking for any type of work. This is a time where there are too many overqualified people who are out of work, and it looks very dry for a 20 year old who lacks any credentials or experience. She recently picked up a part time job at Subway. The labor and hours given to her are unbearable. They had been scheduling her to come to work for only 2 hours a day at 8/hr. At that rate, it was hardly worth going in to work at all. When I recently encouraged her to demand that she get scheduled for at least 4 hours, hoping that she would get more hours... it backfired negatively and caused her to be scheduled less.
Last year I abandoned school for the most part and felt really guilty about it. Although, now that the country is in a recession, I don't feel so bad because I feel like I am returning from a one year vacation and have the drive to work hard. I am glad I got my travels out of the way, met lot's of friends, and had fun. This year it's time to get back on track, a very good friend (Jan Hettich) decided to give me a scholarship to return to school. (I lost my scholarship due to dropping a full load of classes mid semester) As I don't feel I am deserving of this help, I plan to own up to the expectations and work hard to succeed.
I am very fortunate to be able to work for PSAV. It will offer a lot of flexibility during the upcoming semester while I start my new life.
I am happy to have the support of Richard Grijalva. His patience and love has kept me strong and even though financial times have been rough, he has kept me sane and smiling.
My mother, from cooking and cleaning and helping me out, she has been awesome, I am very grateful to have her.
This is the first time in my life where I feel very little control over what is going on in my family and the people around me. I am worried about my whole family, as I seem to be the only one employed at the moment. That is a scary thought considering I have been a student/adventurist most of my young adulthood and have never really concerned myself with the stability of employment. My mom has moved in two of her friends who are now homeless due to layoffs at the Bellagio Casino.
My younger sister is suffering from the hardship of looking for any type of work. This is a time where there are too many overqualified people who are out of work, and it looks very dry for a 20 year old who lacks any credentials or experience. She recently picked up a part time job at Subway. The labor and hours given to her are unbearable. They had been scheduling her to come to work for only 2 hours a day at 8/hr. At that rate, it was hardly worth going in to work at all. When I recently encouraged her to demand that she get scheduled for at least 4 hours, hoping that she would get more hours... it backfired negatively and caused her to be scheduled less.
Last year I abandoned school for the most part and felt really guilty about it. Although, now that the country is in a recession, I don't feel so bad because I feel like I am returning from a one year vacation and have the drive to work hard. I am glad I got my travels out of the way, met lot's of friends, and had fun. This year it's time to get back on track, a very good friend (Jan Hettich) decided to give me a scholarship to return to school. (I lost my scholarship due to dropping a full load of classes mid semester) As I don't feel I am deserving of this help, I plan to own up to the expectations and work hard to succeed.
I am very fortunate to be able to work for PSAV. It will offer a lot of flexibility during the upcoming semester while I start my new life.
I am happy to have the support of Richard Grijalva. His patience and love has kept me strong and even though financial times have been rough, he has kept me sane and smiling.
My mother, from cooking and cleaning and helping me out, she has been awesome, I am very grateful to have her.
Christmas has been sad in Nevada. As the economy is worsening, depression is looming. I can feel the pain of my co-workers who have recently been layed off, my neighbors who can't afford power and my sister who can't make her bills. It just doesn't look so bright.
No comments:
Post a Comment